[Review 1134] Gigantic soufflé in a vintage restaurant @ 太平館餐廳 Tai Ping Koon Restaurant

16/05/2011

太平館餐廳 Tai Ping Koon Restaurant
銅鑼灣白沙道6號地舖
G/F, 6 Pak Sha Road, Causeway Bay
https://www.openrice.com/zh/hongkong/review/gigantic-souffle-in-a-vintage-restaurant-e2169973











I would never have discovered this place if I hadn’t read Open Rice, the Chinese dishes were not the dishes that attracted me, but it was the massive soufflé!
The Chinese dishes were not the dishes I were after but it was the massive soufflé!
The restaurant is very mysterious from the outside, it reminds me of those places where people go and play mah jong, hidden from the outside world by white veils.
The reservation/waiting list is also old style too, especially the texture of the paper they use, and all the names are hand written and crossed off.
The last restaurant I went to that was similar to this one was St Louis Steak House, the waitors all wore vintage clothing with bow-ties.
Same with this one, the waiters are in their mid fifties plus which reminds of Gingko in Central.
The reservation/waiting list is also old style too, especially the texture of the paper they use, and all the names are hand written and crossed off.
Due to the privacy this restaurant offers, it explains why there are so many celebrities and politicians dining there.
When I was dining there, I saw Fung So Boh (actress) and some politician (duno her name).
Apart from the Soufflé the other dishes were boring such as Swiss style fried flat noodles and baked rices obviously Hongkie style.
I suppose the only one dish I would try would be the fried flat noodles and beef.
As I came here for especially for the Soufflé , that was what I ordered.

However, the waiter said in a displeasing tone that it would take 35 minutes.
I am not sure if he didn’t like the idea of me occupying the seat for at least half an hour or whether he got the impression customers complain after waiting too long but if you offer something on the menu then people are going to order it.

When the souffle came, it smelt so nice, it smells really eggy and reminds me of the smell of Malaysian steamed cake (maa lie go).

It was collosial when it arrived, imagine a souffle in a glass casserole dish.

The inside of the Souffle was pale yellow, inside it was so light and fluffy.

Every time I ate it, I had to sniff it because it smelt so nice.

It is so rare to have something that smells, looks and tastes good!!

It was piping with steam because it came fresh from the oven.
Anyway don’t forget to smell it because it smell really nice!!
Tea was included so I ordered tea for the sake that it was included because I don't drink Hongkie style teas.
When it came, it visually looked good that I almost thought it was Hongkie tea!

The tea looked really silky without residue or condensed milk residue on the side of the cup.
The smell confirmed to me it was HK style tea.
Although I didn’t like it, I still tried a sip, the taste did not irritate me as much as the usual HK tea’s do, but it was a pleasant one.

There was no bitterness and after drinking half of the tea, the tea was so silky it didn’t leave any marks like the usual HK tea does.











No comments:

Post a Comment

[Review 7821] Kaya toast @ 一粥麵 Super Super Congee & Noodle

19/12/2020 一粥麵  Super Super Congee & Noodle 樂富聯合道198號樂富廣場1樓1113-1114號舖 Shop 1113-1114, 1/F, Lok Fu Shopping Centre, 198 Junction Road, L...