[Review 885] Singmalay part 23 @ 好時沙嗲 Good Satay

19/10/2010
好時沙嗲 Good Satay
尖沙咀麼地道63號好時中心144-148號舖
Shop144-148, Houston Centre, 63 Mody Square, Tsim Sha Tsui
https://www.openrice.com/zh/hongkong/review/singmalay-part-23-e2124922





With the recent hype of two new popular Singaporean eateries 1) Mandarin Chicken bar in TST 2) Hainan shaoye in CWB, I decided to visit the long standing "Good Satay" in TST.

In the earlier days, this was a popular pick along with Katong.
It was so hard trying to find this restaurant, but after looking at the map, it was located behind CEO.

The restaurant is located in an ancient mall that looks like the ones you see in old HK movies.

The restaurant is not a big restaurant to be exact, its like a few rented rooms next to each other with three to four dining tables inside.

I was searching the menu for the satays, but I couldn’t find it.

Menu cover

The satays were illustrated so nicely on the front cover, that I thought it was the menu cover. There was chicken, beef and pork, so I ordered chicken and beef.

For the mains, I ordered the chicken with rice, and a Laksa. I wasn’t sure which type of vermicelli they use so I asked if it was the thin type or the usual type, the lady who took my order was kind enough to show me a strand, so I ordered the Laksa.

While waiting for the food to arrive, I noticed they had a motto on the yellow table sheet, there were four lines with the rough translated meaning:

Good Satay poem!

Satay packed with flavours
Unique chicken rice
Native laksa
Wonderful curry

I had already ordered 3 of those 4 items.



The satay was the first to arrive, instead of the chicken and beef that was ordered, it was chicken and pork, but I was too lazy to ask them to change it.
Surprisingly, the pork was tender, same with the chicken, both were full of flavours and didn’t really require the peanut sauce. The pork was better than I expected, it didn’t have that smelly pork taste.
The peanut sauce was ok, but slightly sour. So according to their motto, I suppose it is fair to say it is packed with flavours.



Next to arrive was the chicken, as soon as it arrived, it reminded me of the chicken I had at the Satay Inn at North Point, especially the soup, as it contained shredded vegetables in it.
The ground ginger sauce was interesting, it was green and tasted very nice, the soy sauce was thick and black with tiny aniseed balls in it. The chicken rice was unique as claimed in their motto, unique because of the soup and the soy sauce.


Missing Laksa leaves, as shown on sum OR pics

The laksa soup was extremely thick, the colour of the soup was mustard yellow, as well as vermicelli, it contained beanshoots, beancurd puffs, cuttlefish balls and fishball slices.
The laksa was not spicy, and surprisingly the vermicelli was flavoured by the soup, although there was a weird smell in it though. Overall I felt the laksa was more Malaysian than Singpore, and I was rather disappointed there weren’t any laksa leaves in the noodles, as photos show on Openrice.
It was not spicy at all and the taste was sweeter than the laksa's I have had before, I thought it was more Malaysian than Singaporean.

Overall, the food here is reasonable, and the price is ok too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

[Review 7821] Kaya toast @ 一粥麵 Super Super Congee & Noodle

19/12/2020 一粥麵  Super Super Congee & Noodle 樂富聯合道198號樂富廣場1樓1113-1114號舖 Shop 1113-1114, 1/F, Lok Fu Shopping Centre, 198 Junction Road, L...