[Review 6951] Someone said "crazy" Chinese food"?? @ 港 (已結業)KONG by Bread & Beast

05/11/2018
港 (已結業)KONG by Bread & Beast
灣仔汕頭街1號地舖
G/F, 1 Swatow Street, Wan Chai
https://www.openrice.com/zh/hongkong/review/someone-said-crazy-chinese-food-e3208448








I was checking out the French restaurant on Swatow Street when I saw Kong by Bread and Beast were doing a photo shoot.

Took a look out of curiosity and they were doing a photo shoot for Thanksgiving and Christmas with turkey and delicious pies!!!
While I was looking, this guy came out and said that I should come in and try the "crazy Chinese food" which was a big contrast to Turkey!!!!
{Actually I was more interested in Turkey to be honest!]

The menu was quite interesting so decided to try it anyway.
There were lots of Western dishes with Chinese ingredients and Vice versa such as mac and cheese with Chinese preserved sausages and ricerolls covered in cheese.


The one that I really had to try was the Caesar salad made with fried dace in black bean sauce since I missed the chance to try the fried dace in black bean sauce pizza at some hotel in San po kong.
I couldn't believe how well they went together but I am biased as I just love anything with fried dace that I once requested for fried dace black bean congee and it was damn good.
This dish was inspired by salad with anchovies and capers which was replaced by the fried dace and it worked.


Next were the Brussel sprouts which I hesitated to order as they just looked dark in photos and boy I was wrong.
The photo does not do it any justice.
When you eat them, the surface of the Brussel sprout are crispy but soft inside bursting with tangy lime and fish sauce and you just can't stop eating them.


There were so many dips to choose from like black garlic aioli, strawberry ricotta, fa diu liver pate and bone marrow whip with a choice of scallion bing or ciabatta.
Went for the strawberry ricotta and crispy ciabatta which was quite nice as it was liking having savoury scones with cream and strawberries.


Finished with the cherry kola beef brisket.
Inside the rice roll, there was so much lean beef brisket which is the same stuff they use for the sandwiches during the day.

By day this place is [Bread and Beast] and by night they are [KONG] by Bread and Beast

Bread and Beast have been really successful as I first tried them at Island East Markets a few years ago before they started this restaurant in Wanchai.

No comments:

Post a Comment

[Review 7821] Kaya toast @ 一粥麵 Super Super Congee & Noodle

19/12/2020 一粥麵  Super Super Congee & Noodle 樂富聯合道198號樂富廣場1樓1113-1114號舖 Shop 1113-1114, 1/F, Lok Fu Shopping Centre, 198 Junction Road, L...