[Review 1089] Eat your heart out with delicious snacks @ Quezon Pinoy Food Express

28/04/2011
Quezon Pinoy Food Express (已結業)
灣仔石水渠街1號其發大廈地下11號舖
Shop 11, G/F, Luckifast Building, 1 Stone Nullah Lane, Wan Chai
https://www.openrice.com/zh/hongkong/review/eat-your-heart-out-with-delicious-snacks-e2165822






I love Phillipino food when it is not too oily, the food here is just right.

Phillipino food is normally sugary and also sour because they like to add Lemon or Vinegar to their food.

I started with a plate of noodles, the Pancit bihon it was thin rice noodles cooked with soy sauce some lime juice.
There are two sizes: a plate for $10 or a plate for $15, I knew I was going to like it, so ordered the bigger portion.
The noodles are flavoured nicely with notes of lemon. I added extra chilli vinegar to it as well, which made me even hungrier.

After the noodles, I ordered the Brazo de Mercedes (Egg Meringue Roll) which is considered a cake in the Phillipino cuisine.

There were four cakes to choose from, Taro roll, chocolate roll, egg meringue roll, and this other one which I didn’t know what it was.
Brazo de Mercedes (Egg Meringue Roll)
It is a rolled cake made of egg whites with a rich custard filling, or sometimes lemon.
The one I had contained some lemon flavouring.
The texture of the meringue was interesting, it was denser than normal meringue, almost like cake.
I wondered if they added some flour into the meringue or it was the method they used to make the meringue.
Italian meringue is also dense, but this one is much denser, it feels like your eating a cake.

In the Phillipines, they were colonised by the Spanish, some foods were influenced by them.
I tried the ensaymada, which was slightly Spanish.

ensaymada
Ensaymada is a brioche made with butter instead of lard, and topped with grated cheese (usually aged Edam, known locally as "queso de bola") and sugar. Upscale versions of ensaymada are also topped with butter cream.
The one I had was slightly bland, so I put some of the sweet meringue on it, which made it just right.

In general Phillipino food is colourful, from purple cakes to green puddings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

[Review 7821] Kaya toast @ 一粥麵 Super Super Congee & Noodle

19/12/2020 一粥麵  Super Super Congee & Noodle 樂富聯合道198號樂富廣場1樓1113-1114號舖 Shop 1113-1114, 1/F, Lok Fu Shopping Centre, 198 Junction Road, L...